Monday, January 4, 2010

= Continuation

Equation, I've decided that I like talking to you. I realize that you won't talk back to me, but there are still a few things about you that puzzle me, so I'm just going to tell you my questions.

Equation, most of us want to know - What happens to me after I die? We have all kinds of ideas about what happens, but if you could talk to me, I would ask you (just to be sure) - When I die, does a part of me live on in another realm? Do I reincarnate in this world? Is whatever I was gone forever, or do I continue on somehow?

In an equation, when one variable goes to a zero value, one of two things happens... the value of the entire equation goes to zero, or the difference is made up in the other variables and the balance is maintained. This gave me pause for thought, Equation. What is me in this Universe is complex: needing an equation of its own to accurately describe it. Am I an equation nested within a larger equation? Am I an equation that feeds the value of a single variable within you, the larger Equation? What happens to what I represent when I go to zero?

"In computing and programming, a continuation is an abstract representation of the control state. In other terms, a continuation reifies an instance of a computational process at a given point in the process's execution. It contains information such as the process's current stack (including all data whose lifetime is within the process e.g. "local variables"), as well the process's point in the computation. Such an instance can then be later resumed upon invocation."

That's a teeny bit beyond me, Equation, but I appreciate your attempt to communicate. I had to look up reification - "By means of reification something that was previously implicit, unexpressed and possibly unexpressible is explicitly formulated and made available to conceptual (logical or computational) manipulation."

Forgive me for being simplistic, Equation, but I like the sound of "all data whose lifetime is within the process... can then be later resumed upon invocation." And reification sounds oddly like creating, or giving birth to, something new...

And, Equation, I think I'm going to end this meditation on that oddly optimistic note.