Friday, January 1, 2010

= An Equation

I spent a good deal of time last year trying to identify what I believed. Eventually it became necessary to identify what I believed in. And while I trust in something higher than myself, I don't call it 'God'.

I trust in an equation. I believe that one day we will understand the source and nature of all of our experiences. We will understand the equation that governs how and when we experience suffering, luck, pleasure, the material world, and things that appear to transcend the material world. We will understand consciousness in a way that is only beginning to be explored.

Everything I've investigated about conscious experience points to a system governed by rules. Even experiences we label as 'spiritual' or 'supernatural' follow predictable patterns. From patterns one can deduce rules, and from rules one can derive the ultimate equation.

The equation is complicated. There is so much that we are only beginning to understand about our experiences. And we may never know what exists beyond of the equation. But I believe that we can and will come to understand ourselves and our experiences via the equation. And with understanding comes the power to affect change.

The equation is neither inherently benevolent nor malevolent; it simply is. I trust that we can make progress in understanding that equation, and in doing so, make progress towards a better way of being human.